Sunday, July 13, 2008

Abu Dhabi.

Today is my 4th day in Abu Dhabi. I still haven't sorted out how I feel abut this whole experience. At times, I feel quite exhilarated and excited with our new prospect but at other times, I start thinking if this is all a big mistake.
Abu Dhabi is a beautiful, breath taking city. But it is also a daunting city. Not because it is unsafe, but because everything is so picture perfect, prim and proper and so orderly. Quite the contrast to what this helter skelter mom is used too. I'm just terrified I can't cope.
The highlight here seems to be the shopping and dining out. As i'm not much of a shopper (especially now that I'm all preggy) I'm not enjoying it as much. The people here also appears unfriendly, maybe due to the various races and culture stuck here in this foreign land, everyone seems to keep to themselves and mind their own business.
Being with the kids without help this past few days has made me realized how I've been neglecting my children during my studying period. In this new environment, Sarah seems to be out of control and most of the time obnoxious and rude. I don't know if she has always been this way or its just that this new surrounding makes her appear so. I have observed during my countless trips to the mall so far, all the children are very, unbelievably well behaved. They could actually sit still (literally sit still and stare at their surrounding) while their parents chat away with friends during meals. Screaming children seem totally unheard off and when my children act up, the people here turn and stare which really gets on my nerves and is quite embarassing.
I don't know if its just my parenting skill (or lack of it) or the children here are just developing abnormally. 4 days here and various trips to the mall and with the exception of my own children, not a single screaming child in sight. Kinda scary...to me at least.
On the other side, being with the kids without any help gives me the opportunity to 'reprogram' my kids. I have complete control over my children andI can reprimand my children for their bad behavior without worrying that the maid and grandparents will pacify them and just make them regress back to their previous bad behavior. I am worried though that when I go back home that all my hard work here will just be forgotten and the children will lapse back to their previous behavior.
Which brings me to another important issue. Although I'm adamant about giving birth at home, I don't know whether I should go back or stay on till my impending birth. I don't like to leave dearest hubby here all by himself as there is no one to take care of him and as beautiful as Abu Dhabi can be, its not home so it can still get pretty lonely here. I've got 2 weeks to continue to contemplate and ponder. I do miss home but my future is here. Sigh.

8 comments:

Reen said...

helo Linda. Da sampai ke Abu dhabi ye. I was thinking bout u tau, actually more of the photos that u are suppose to give me tau. hehehe...So does the kids miss their grandpa & naina tak.

Do take care. bye. Salam from pak ngah and your cousins.

Fairul said...

wah...sampai AUH dah...later you can update the stories from AUH..if its tempting enough..i might drop down to AUH..eheh :P

psst..I'm moving to Doha next monday...sama2 la beraya kt sane :P

LindaMunshi said...

Sorry lah, those pics tak siap lagi lah...once ready I'll be certain to upload and send some copies your way! Take care and salam to the family!

OMG...ur in Doha? Too bad ur not in AUH, boleh gak jamu makan hehehe...honestly, AUH is not all that (I'm bias...there's no place like home lol) although its definitely a haven for the shopoholics! Hehe...Gimme a holler if u ever pop by..

zaida Ismail said...

wahh dah sampai sana? Ada shopping prospect yang bagus ker? Tolong roger boleh kita gi sana holiday hehehehehe

Anonymous said...

Linda, la... never thought u went so early..I thought you'll go after the birth.
Go make friends and enjoy while you can. Malaysia is still the best, guess that makes Khalid refuse to go AUH kot, despite the pay is higher there! Take care girl... regards to saipul.

LindaMunshi said...

Zaida, sini shopping mmg mengila! Sekarang ni tgh summer sale...so lagi ganas. Kalo iman tak kuat, goyah jugak lah...tahap boleh bankrap kan diri hehehe. Kalau nat dtg cuti-cuti, mailah next year..leh dudk dgn akak..free accomodation! ;)

Linda, dunno yet whether I stay or go, all depends whether Sarah gets into a school or not. Otherwise, it would make no sense for Sarah to saty till September next year without going to school. I f she does get into a school...beranak sini lah gamaknya :P

zaida Ismail said...

Free accomodation? So i can add another relevant reason to go to Abu Dhabi hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda - I remember you from MMB days. Didn't realize you moved to Abu Dhabi! Then again, everyone's moving here and there nowadays. I myself landed in China hehehe

I can understand your dilemma about having your baby there or back home. I know I'd definitely wanna go back home when we plan for it next year.

In your case, it ain't easy as you've got 2 other kids and also, Abu Dhabi is not exactly in the Malaysian backyard.

Do try and make friends - check out expat forums online and also ask about the state of healthcare there. If shopping is No. 1, I can bet you their healthcare's good too.

Take care and have fun with a new environment. Give yourself some time - it ain't easy, I know :)