Wednesday, February 08, 2006

35 weeks and 4 days pregnant. Another 31 days to go!


I went for my pre-natal check-up last Saturday. Spent almost 4 hours waiting for my turn to see my ob-gyn. Luckily I slept over at my mom’s so I was able to leave Sarah behind with both her Nana and Atuk. It was a really, really long wait that I even manage to finish reading an entire book cover to cover. Seems that because of CNY, my doc was the only one available and had to attend to the other doctors’ patients. It didn’t help that several of those doctors’ patients went into labor that very day.

Anyway, as usual went to see the doc, did the usual blood pressure check, Q&A and the awaited ultrasound. According to my EDD, I am actually 35 weeks along so it was quite a surprise to me that according to the ultrasound, the guesstimation of the baby’s weight is at 3.4kg! Whoa…that is definitely a scary prospect for me.

When I gave birth to Sarah, her birth coincided with my EDD (yup, I am proud to say that I am among the 5% of women who actually delivered according to her EDD). At full term, Sarah only weighed 3.15kg. It was a relatively easy birth for me (compared to the horror stories told by all my other friends). Experienced only 7 hours of labor pain and manage to go thru the whole process without the assistance of the much sought after epidural.

So its quite horrifying for me when the doctor tells me that if I gave birth right now, the baby would be considered premature however, at what is considered a premature age, the baby still is almost 3 kg heavier than Sarah. That is 3 packs of sugar heavier than Sarah mind you. Now considering that I have at least another 3-4 weeks to go…I had better not gain any more weight because I can only imagine how scary it is to give birth to a 4 kilo baby! I’ve set my target at a maximum of 3.5 kg. So I had better watching my diet from this day forward. The baby’s head is already at 9cm and when I’m fully dilated I’d be at 10 cm so any bigger than that…I guess I won’t be able to sit down for weeks. Boo hoo.

Honestly, regardless of what other people say, although a miraculous experience, one can’t help but to feel daunted at the prospect of actually giving birth to another human being. I’ve been told that my pain threshold is quite high…but for one who has a high tolerance for pain, I’m still scared out of my mind of the actual act of labor. *Sigh* The things a woman must go thru…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 1st born was 3.38kgs while my 2nd was 4.24kgs. Normal delivery but used Epidural. Wishing u a safe & speedy delivery.

rafiqaheliza said...

My Ashraff was born at 3.74 kg. Normal delivery w/out epidural. I know u can do it, Linda! All the best...