Friday, March 20, 2009

Planning Mika's 3rd



Since Mika had never had a proper birthday party in his life, I thought it would be nice to throw him one for his 3rd. I had initially planned out a small intimate get together for his birthday, but being me, I tend to over think things and my ideas turned into one grandiose affair. Hubby wasn't let in on the plan and nearly had a heart attack when I told him of my plans ( albeit last minute). Thank goodness my man was a good sport and was very cooperative.
Back in Malaysia, organizing a birthday party was so easy. All I had to do was find the right people and hire them! There was an abundance of caterers, party planners and entertainers. Here, I just didn't have a clue especially being new in foreign country and all. I tried to do some research but what I found was mediocre and ridiculously expensive. So I had to improvise. I had to conjure all my past memories of the birthday parties I had been to as a little girl before the whole party planning mania hit Malaysia.
So I began the task of sorting out the guest list (which seems to grow every time I thought about it..hmm), planning out the menu, searching high and low for a cake maker and devising activities for the kids during the party. Who would have thought that the task to search for a decent loot bag would be one complicated mission? I guess that's one of the cons of living in this hick town called Abu Dhabi.
I've always loved pinatas at parties so I thought, "Why not have one?" We searched high and low for one and when I finally found a shop that sells pinatas, I was astounded to discover that they were selling it for a whopping Dhs180 for one very small pathetic looking pinata! WTF?!!
So I figured, if I wanted a pathetic looking pinata..instead of purchasing one, I'll just make one! I studied the pathetic looking pinata closely to find out the materials they used. Polystyrene, crepe paper and construction paper. "Well, this looks easy enough.." I thought. So after purchasing the materials (I spent like less than Dhs40 for the stuffs, and that included polystyrene glue, glitters and a blades. Sheesh, that pinata shop was truly ripping people off!)
Armed with what little amount of creativity skills I have in me, I started the task of creating a pinata. Half way thru, I was seriously doubting my so called 'bright idea'. Never thought it would be so tedious. No wonder they were selling it for RM80 in Malaysia. If it was up to me, I'd probably charge like Dhs100 for one but Dhs180, heck, I'm no con artist.
After the whole pinata saga, I started to doubt my abilities in cooking for a lot of people. Could I really do it and complete it before the party began? So I did the smart thing and begged some friends to help me out. Luckily they took pity on me and agreed. Those friends of mine are truly god sent. Bless them all!
The morning of the party, I woke up early to prepare the spring rolls, chicken curry, jellies, chocolate fondue and fried vermicelli. On top of those, I had to pick up the cake as well! Perhaps I am taking my super mom aspiration a tad too far. But being one who is always up for a little challenge, I succeeded in completing my tasks in time for the party. However, I ended up looking like a train wreck. I didn't even have time to wash my hair and groom myself nicely for the guests. Well, it doesn't matter really as kids can't really tell the difference. Heck they eat food they pick up off the floor so I'd guess they wouldn't notice your ordinary disheveled mom..
It was a nice party after all. Everyone seemed like they were having fun and most importantly, Mika had a really good time. So all that hard work was not in vain. The kids played pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, dancing statue and not forgetting the pinata. A couple of kids got hurt during the pinata wrecking process. I had thought about blindfolding them at first but I guess it was a good idea after all to leave that out because considering how much damage they could do with their eyes wide open, imagine the damage they would have done when they are blindfold and equip with a weapon. Seriously scary.
I'd say it was an overall successful party. I'm proud of myself that I was able to pull it off. Everything went smoothly except that I forgot to serve the jellies I had painstakingly made that morning. Mika had never receive so many present in his life and couldn't stop gushing about it days after the party.
So I guess I do have it in me to plan a nice party and for that I'll give myself a pat on my back. However, for Sarah's upcoming party, I'm doing it in some playland where I won't have to lift a finger. I'm done planning parties. ;)

Pinning the tail on the donkey. I drew the donkey...not bad eh for someone who had never drawn a donkey in her life :P

Passing the parcel game. The kids were all good sport and willingly performed the forfeits. They displayed a good sense of camaraderie and support for each other.

My pinata!

A happy camper!

5 comments:

Rempah Ratus said...

Mak Su macam tak percaya je Linda lukis donkey tu.

zaida Ismail said...

Birthday party? I have to deal with all this soonnn huawaaaaaaaaaaa.... I have to read your blog everyday in order to learn everything bout being mother!!!

Anonymous said...

hey...your donkey's missing its tail! hahaha...otherwise, A+++ for effort!:_P

LindaMunshi said...

Maksu..percaya jgn tak percaya. Linda kan multi talented hehe
Yes Zaida, come and learn from the pro ;)
Jay, its pin the tail on the donkey...if the donkey had tail...then there wouldn't be any pinninh going on...the tail is in the kids hand lah..tu lah, tak pernah organize game...asyik2 suh clown tu jek yg buat :P

Anonymous said...

hahahha...u r rite...nampak sangat tak pernah organise games! I play it safelah, panggil orang buat magic shows and give out balloons aje, senang citer!:-)