Saturday, January 28, 2006

Planning a Party


Anybody who says planning a small party is a piece of cake ought to think again. I thought this year, for hubby's 36th I'd do something really special for him. So after weeks and weeks of trying to come up with the perfect gift...I remembered long ago when we were courting, Hubby told me that he has never had a birthday party in his life. So I thought, what could be more special than throwing him a surprise birthday party? And here I am today..stuck in a rut.

I've never realized that there are so much to do when planning for a party. Although I've asked my mom and sis to help out...all the little gritty details are left to me. I've already booked the tables and chairs...but because of CNY, they can only deliver it the morning of the event. I worry that they won't arrive on time.

And then there's food. Since Hubby loves SIL's fried mihun, I've asked her to cater but a week before the event, she told me that she can't do it because MIL wants her back in Penang for the long holidays. Well, on the bright side, better her than us. That leaves me with the headache of finding another caterer. Got someone to make roti jala and satay...but since everyone seems to be going of on a holiday, my mom has no choice but to cook the mihun for me...I feel really guilty about it, I wish I could cook it myself but hubby would be very suspicious to see me suddenly cook for 30 when there is only the 3 of us at home.

And then there's the guest list. Originally the list was for 60 but I manage to cut it down to 30 since most of Hubby's closest friends are pilots and quite a number of them won't be around because of their rosters. Anyway, I wanted it to be as small as possible. But closer and closer to the day of the event, more and more people have called to cancel because most have suddenly decided to go out of town. The people who truly mattered to Hubby won't be able to make it and this is making me feel a little anxious. And I don't even want to begin about how difficult it was for me to acquire their numbers.

The surprise party is 2 days away and I'd forgotten to buy Hubby's present. That's another dilemma because Hubby will be arriving from London tomorrow. Urgh..can't stand the hassle I'm going through just to have enough time. All in all, including the present, this whole shindig is costing me about RM700. I should have just bought him that damn RM500 fishing pole for him to bring to IGFA in April. Would've saved me all this unwanted headache.

On top of all this, I haven't a clue on how to get him out of the house and back again in time for the party. Urgh...the headache!!!

No comments: