Monday, June 19, 2006

World Cup 2006

In spirit of the World Cup, I guess I’m compelled to jot down a few words on my thoughts or rather what I know (which is not much) about football and the World Cup. Before I begin, let me warn you that all this while, my knowledge of football and the World Cup is limited to Posh Spice who happens to be married to David Becham, who is not just a Bryl Cream model but a world renowned footballer as well. And perhaps he landed the Bryl Cream contract because of football. That’s it. Oh! And the fact that his wife Posh, has a to die for sense of style. Yup, that’s about it. Lol.

Ok, I know, I know…such lousy knowledge of football when it is perhaps the most sought after, talked about event this year. Truth is, I’m pretty oblivious of it happening at all. But since I’m obligated to write something, anything about football, I did a little research of my own. In other words, asking an expert (well, in this case hubby because he used to be a reserve player in primary school and in my books that’s expert enough) a few questions regarding football and the World Cup and getting a few grunts for answers. So let me share with you my findings.

1. Maradona is NOT Madonna pronounced in a foreign language. The fact is he’s a GUY who played for the Argentinean team and later got into a drug related problem which subsequently ended his career and is now an overweight, middle age has been. Oh, he had something to do with something called ‘Goal of the Century’ whatever that means.

2. Ronaldinho and Ronaldo are two separate person and Ronaldinho is the uglier of the two. He is actually that guy with the scary looking set of teeth with a bad case of frizzy hair plastered on billboards all around the world. He is currently advertising for Breeze and is also considered the world’s best player. (He doesn’t even qualify as slightly good looking so I can’t figure out why the extreme adulation.)

3. Anyone with enough common sense should root for Brazil and England is just overrated. (Heck, don’t ask me I’m just quoting hubby, I don’t even know what that is suppose to mean.)

4. A small village in Bangladesh broke into a riot because the electricity went out during a game.

5. Ronaldo won a golden shoe in the last world cup.(???) In my opinion, a golden shoe on a man is waaay tacky. Very the pimp-isque

6. The World Cup isn’t actually a cup but a trophy that doesn’t look anything like a cup. ( So why they call it a cup is a mystery to me) Trust a man to not recognize what a cup looks like. To them, cups, mugs, glass are just things to hold water.

Yup, that’s about it. Hubby mostly shooed me away because I was disturbing him watching a game between Argentina against I-can’t-care-less. So that’s that. Now that I’m over and done with that, I can actually move on to things that are more meaningful and not as ridiculous as grown men running, pushing, shoving and chasing a little ball for the sake of a cup. Call me ignorant, call me clueless, I'd like to think myself as blessed. I'm in better shape than all those poor, sleep deprived football die hards who are pushing their body to the limit forcing it to stay awake in order to watch a game...and I have a 3 month old baby!

14 comments:

Suria Khamis said...

hahahaha!that has to be the funniest entry ever on world cup. I LIKE!!

p/s: have changed blog link... it's now peanut-butter-mania.

pretty obvious innit?

=)

Unknown said...

hahaha ooooo.....too good to be true eh?

IMMomsDaughter said...

I share your "passion" for football. Can't understand the fuss about World Cup but for once, I can say my knowledge on football is slightly better than some else ;) Give me Fear Factor over World Cup anytime!

mom2ashley said...

great post on footsie. i also know nuts about football and whatever is happening during the WC!

LindaMunshi said...

Suria, no wonder I kept getting a 'URL Not Found'

halogamora, I bet u sit there next to ur hubby cheering away to football as ur the sporty sort... I on the other hand am cursing the game away while thinking 'another AF episode lost' LOL.

Elina, Fear Factor makes sense...eating bugs, jumping off buildings for the sake of monetary rewards. But getting kicked, punched ad shoved for the sake of a cup (a cup that doesn't even resembles a cup mind you)??? Men are so weird. LOL.

mom2ashley,
Aren't we blessed? :)

Anonymous said...

LOL!! That's pretty much sums up my knowledge of soccer too =D

*strawberry shortcake*

Mister Ry said...

err.. aku tak suka bola sepak.
aku lebih suka tidur.. hehe

(aku lelaki yg spesel.. haha)

Fairul said...

the last i played football was 8 yrs ago..now i 'embraced' and play tennis .come to think of it..yeah..20 guys chasing over a ball at the size of their head doesnt make sense right? or izzit just my testerone level dah tak balance..hahah..but still..my knowledge in football is still better than my housemates..trust me.

p/s: i still watch the games at night.dun worry. :)

Nana said...

hahahah!

that is certainly an interesting perspective on football!

i think brazil is just as overrated as england btw.

LindaMunshi said...

Strawberry Shortcake, as they say...great minds think alike! Lol

Iwan, alhamdullillah...kurang semak sikit kat kedai mamak tu memalam buta :P

Fairul, I understand...sometimes we just need to keep up with our 'appearance'...especially for u guys as it being a guy thing and all...:P

Nana, I'll just take ur word for it as I haven't the slightest clue anyway. Lol.

Anonymous said...

I'm just into it because of the men with heavenly bods...need alittle eye candy once in a while laaaa....

blackpurple @ jowopinter said...

The 5 most handsome players of the World Cup:

1. Roque Santa Cruz (Paraguay)
2. Raúl (Spain)
3. Luis Figo (Portugal)
4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
5. Thierry Henry (France)

Beckham....???

The 5 prettiest wives of the footballers:

1. Eva González (Casillas' girlfriend) - Spain
2. Mamen Sanz (Raúl's wife) - Spain
3. Sylvie Van der Vaart (Rafael Van der Vaart's wife) - Holland
4. Carolina Celico (Kaka's wife) - Brazil
5. Raica Oliveira (Ronaldo's girlfriend) - Brazil

He he he..

Raf said...

Henry handsome ke? Beckham sissy la..hehe. Beck fan...jgn marah aa.

almost sumer my membe2 pompuan cair kat Morientes ngan Kaka...and they said Ronaldinho sweet...huhuhu

Alpha said...

Oh Mommy of Sarah..those men don't mind being kicked, punched and shoved because 'we do it for our nation...yadda yadda yadda' besides, they got allowance for their trouble!

Anyway, where else can you find grown up, tough men CRY when their team were knocked out? Haha!

Oh, and Thanks for visiting my blog, please come again!