Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I'm Doing My Best!

I was on the phone with my sister just now. Felt the need to whine to someone about what a handful Sarah is becoming and since hubby’s in London, thought sis would be the next best person to pour out my frustrations.

I told her how I blew my lid off last night after managing to keep my cool and putting up with Sarah’s tantrum for 2 whole weeks. Sarah as usual was working up a fit refusing to bath, I had to carry her kicking and screaming into the bathroom to bath her. After I was done, she starting working up a fit refusing to leave the bathroom and put on her clothes. The baby was in the background screaming his lungs out. I kept insisting her over and over again to come out and get dressed. She repeatedly screamed back “No!” What really ticked me off was when I saw her putting the hand bidet into her mouth and drinking the tap water. Countless of times I’ve told her, scolded her, reasoned with her to not do that. This was one too many times that she had disregarded my instructions, so what did I do? I switched off the lights of the bathroom and shut the door.

Sarah then screamed in fright and started banging on the bathroom door pleading to be let out. I stood outside the door quietly for 2 whole minutes before switching on the bathroom lights and letting her out. Somehow or rather, that made her come to her senses and she behaved her all the way to bedtime. When I told her it was time for her bedtime, she obediently complied without putting up a fight like she does every other night.

Anyway, told my sis about last night’s entire episode. I was taken aback when my sister exclaimed that what I did was the meanest thing she’s ever heard off. Sister made me feel guilty and ashamed for what I’ve done. To add insult to injury, she insinuated that Sarah is spoiled. I’ve let her get away with stuff countless of times and this is the result of my doing. Then she brought up the incident when Sarah was younger and played with her documents and stuff and wasn’t reprimanded for her actions. Heck, she was only 2!

I’m a strong believer in encouraging a child to be positive. I try not to say ‘No’ to her all the time. Like when Sarah played with her daddy’s work manuals, hubby freaked out. Although I told Sarah what she did was wrong, I didn’t see the necessity to punish her for it. It’s not like she can read and at her age, a piece of paper is just a piece of paper. I told hubby, if he wanted to blame someone, blame himself for leaving important stuff strewn about.

Little sis then proceeded to say “Don’t you wonder how so and so does it? Her eldest boy is just perfect.” Hey…what’s that suppose to mean? I’m a terrible mother? The truth is, I too think so and so is an excellent mother. But it’s easy to be a superb mom when you don’t have to worry about cleaning up the mess, doing the laundry and cooking. Your youngest child can already talk and walk and on top of it all, have TWO excellent maids to call and depend upon.

I was pissed with lil sis. Humph…what does she know about being a mother, she isn’t even married. I ended THAT phone call abruptly. Perhaps I am being defensive, insecure and emotional but I’m doing the best I can. I admit I’m not the most excellent mother around and wouldn’t even stand a chance if this was a competition but it is all I know how to be.

Despites my whines and complaints, I know that no one will be able to love my children the way I do. No one will know my children the way I do. No one will be able to care and nurture my children the way I do. I may be a terrible mother, but I’ll be the only mother that Sarah would ever know of. At the end of the day, it’s what she thinks that really matters. I hope she knows that I’m doing my best.

Sarah was born on May 15th, 2003 at 12.o5pm. Someone once told me children born during midday will be of the stubborn variety. Hmmm….

8 comments:

IMMomsDaughter said...

Ohh...Sarah's Mummy, my heart goes out to you for what you went through. Like I've said before, I 've always believed that being a SAHM is very challenging and do not have the guts to do it yet. Some more, without any maid to help you.

It is just natural for you to burst like that when Sarah crosses the line too many times. I would not use the term "mean" but I think you did give your girl quite a scare. I remembered when I was a little girl, my dad locked me up in a room and switched off the light, then told me monsters were coming to get me, NOW THAT was MEAN!

Agreed that I'll get pissed off too if I heard my confidant tellng me off at a time when I need a shoulder to cry on. However, if u really think back, it's these people who are honest & frank with us. Though not everything is true, some things they say could be correct. Hope I have not offended you this way.

Anyway, if I were you, I would give myself a pat on the back. You've indeed done a good job (I gather from your blogging) and no one will love Sarah more than her own mom, right?

Mumsgather said...

Ooh! Calm down woman! You're not a lousy mum. We're all the same, all trying to cope in our own ways. I guess I must be mean too because I do the same when my girl dawdles in the bathroom. Usually I tell her she has 3 more minutes to play and that she should come out at the count of 3. It usually works ie telling them beforehand that an activity has to end. If it doesn't, then I threaten to switch off the lights at the count of 3 and I proceed to do just that. Now if she's still not out by then, I tell her I'm going to close the door at the count of 3 and that usually does the trick! Sometimes I use the timer for a change. I set a timer and tell her its time to come out when the bell rings or I let her set the timer herself. Its those digital type where she gets to press the numbers. She likes it so it usually works too. Maybe you try some of those little tricks too. Good luck!

Unknown said...

let it out lin! regardless the "mean" word but i agree one thing about wht ur sis said, anything could happen to sweety sarah in the dark & one good thing is sweety sarah learn a lesson tht day.

Lin! u need a break. i understood as a full time mother and no helper around it would be a tensed to u sometimes. I face the same thing too last time. wht i did, just stare and tell her in one serious voice tone. at first she doesn't understand later when we have time together i talk to her why i did such n such. Lin, believe me It takes time for her to understand. Besides, sweety sarah is just 3.

time of born got nothing to do with child's attitude. it's not even stated in quran. it's all nonsense....think & ponder

Nana said...

aiyoh dear.. u shouldn't be too hard on yourself. ur sis meant well i'm sure, probably from her observation but that doesn't make her right and you wrong!

as nicely put by immomsdaughter, SAHM is actually a tough job. and i really salute you for being able to do it, and do it well sans the maid! i myself would have definitely gone bonkers after 3 days at most.

kaezrin said...

who said motherhood is a breeze

I also easily lost my temper..but when it comes to ef..i am giving mysewlf the deepest patience I can find..

u must be stressed up dear..dun feel bad for what u have done...if i were in your shoes I might be doing the same thing..seriously...with the lil baby and u all alone..

U take care ok...be calm..and i am now trying to practice before I actually yelled, scream, pinch or scolded efi..i count to 10 and take a very deep breathe...at the end i just smile and managed to control myself...but but..we are always trying ok...

u take some time for you ok!! lets have a cuppa or something.. :)

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that there is no such thing as the perfect mum, only first time mum as you are with sarah. Take it easy kay. I can vouch, in sarah's eyes, you are the best mummy she could ever wished for!!

*strawberry shortcake*

LindaMunshi said...

Thanks for all ur kind and encouraging words. I guess I just felt like some self pity then but I'm alright now. Besides, although Sarah drives me nuts sometimes (like right now, she's ramming a football over & over on my head) Sarah's also quick to appologize and is quite the charmer.

I love my lil' sis and all but she has the tendency to rub me the wrong way. Probably because we're both so different. She's highly critical and I'm just over sensitive. That's why I'm so eager to marry her off. Any takers for an over ambitious, highly critical, obssessive compulsive yet sweet 27 year old auditer? Anyone? I just heard my voice echo...Lol!

IMMomsDaughter said...

Glad to see you're back with your sense of humour