Sunday, November 27, 2005

Toilet Seat Caper


Aaah...finally I've uploaded Sarah's latest pictures into my PC. Hehehe, this reminds me. A really funny thing happened last week. I've finally decided to be more determined about introducing Sarah to the toilet. So after taking Sarah to watch 'Chicken Little' at One U last week, we stopped by at Mothercare to buy one of those training toilet seats. Sarah was very,very excited about the new purchase and kept squirming in her stroller to have a look at it.

In the car, hubby and I was so deep in conversation that we didn't notice when Sarah took out the toilet seat out of the bag. The next thing I know, she called out "Mummy, mummy!" and when I looked back, she suddenly pulled down the toilet seat which she had placed on top of her head all the way down to her neck! She proudly exclaimed "Hat!"

I firmly told her to take it off and continued lecturing her how toilet seats are not hats. Sarah tried to take it off...(like daddy, she too can't stand mummy's constant nagging and would do anything to make mummy stop) but then found that the seat couldn't be removed. She then started screaming on top of her lungs in panic. Somehow, her stricken face plus the toilet seat around her neck just gave me a case of the giggles. She looked absolutely adorable. Hubby started laughing too and that somehow made Sarah more agitated. She kept screaming "Kukak! Kukak!"(Bukak! Bukak!) I quickly assured her that when the car stops, I'd help take it off.

Once we reached home, I tried to take it off but discovered that it was really stuck. Sarah has 'flower horn' forehead which actually complicates the matter. When I couldn't get it off, Sarah just cried louder and louder.

I told hubby lets just syampoo her head, probably when its all wet and slippery, we could slide it off. Sarah was a sight to be seen. All the way from the car to the elevator to the house, she had to suffer the indignity of having a toilet seat around her neck. Hehehe....she looked like a puppy with those funny cone shaped flea collar on.

Syampoo and water failed to help...and Sarah was exhausted. Hubby was still determined to get it off and his attempts was actually starting to hurt Sarah. She was beginning to have red marks around her forehead. Sarah's pain tolerance level is quite high...so if she does start complaining, then it does mean that it is really hurting her. My poor babay was tired and just wanted to go to sleep by now. It was already 1 am. Her attempts to sleep wasn't going well wither...because of the size and shape of the toilet seat..she was sort of rolling about on the bed...her head was elevated and she wasn't able to lie down at all...this just mad me laugh harder and harder and my laughter annoyed Sarah more and more.

Told hubby that we needed to take her to the ER. Hubby replied that he doubt an epidural or anything for that matter is able to get the thing off her. Hmm...he had a point. So at 2 am, the 3 of us headed to the Hartamas fire station.

The sleepy firemens were quite astonished to see Sarah in such a state. The Sergeant even told me, he had helped get people who were trapped inside car wrecks, kids who got their head stuck in between stair banisters and even grills but never in his life had to rescue a child who got her head stuck in a toilet seat.

They had to ponder for a little while on which equiptments to use. A chain saw was too large and scary. Their large cutter would do the trick because it is able to cut thru cars in a jiffy...but if Sarah squirmed, they might cut her by mistake. Finally, these 5 firemens decided to use the cutter to make an initial incision and use a very tiney cutter to cut the rest. One men held onto Sarah, two more were dancing about while making funny animal sound to distract her. Another had to ensure there was a safe gap between the seat and Sarah's neck while the last one had to perform the actual cutting act. It was quite a sight. However, I'm proud to say that Sarah was really courageous throughout the whole time while patiently waiting for her 'release'. When they manage to get it off...she actually looked relief and rewarded all the firemen with a big smile.

I'm really thankful to Malaysia's pasukan bomba dan penyelamat especially those in Hartamas. They truly displayed a high sense of profesionalism and efficiency. they can save me anytime, anyday.

Now, Sarah is more careful with what she puts on her head....everytime I show her the picture of her with the stucked toilet seat...I could actually see her shudder....hehehe, at least now I have somethng to talk about for her wedding!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Sarah..she must b feeling very wary now with any 'hat' she sees :) sorry to say that I also lol when i read bout her ordeal..indeed it's gonna b a life long story for her ;)
ciao.

LindaMunshi said...

It's okay Yaway, ur not the only one. I couldn't stop giggling all the way to the firestation too. I think my snickering had annoyed DD too. However, sad to say..toilet training has gone down the drains...she ain't cooperating no more. Guess she's still traumatized. :)