Monday, December 19, 2005

2 Weddings and A Divorce


It's been a really hectic weekend for me. I'm absolutely exhausted. My cousin Juliana got married on Friday and had her wedding reception the next day in Malacca. I'm happy to report that everything went well...it was truly a nice wedding although I must remember to tell the groom or should I say my new cousin-in-law that he should wipe off that permanent glare on his face, because it truly makes him look intimidating. Unless he is striving for that look than by all means, Azlan, just go ahead and scowl...such a sad thing to do to quite a handsome face but it's his face after all so do whateverlah. Hehehe.

During the weekend, I not only manage to be there for my cousin's wedding...I was also able to attend another wedding in Muar. It was a wedding of a friend of hubby's from work and that too was another lovely wedding. However, I'm quite astounded to hear a ghazal group strumming to Hip Hop and Western songs...hehehe, I guess you discover new things everyday!

So all in all, I had attended 2 weddings and one divorce..or almost. I'm sad to say that my grandpa has decided to proceed in divorcing his wife of 6 years on the very day my cousin is tying the knot. This incident has confirmed my suspicion that our country is being plagued by the wedding and divorce bug. It's terrifying to hear so many divorces happening in such a short span of time.

I feel like a traitor for feeling this way...but in this case, I can't help feeling sorry for dear old step grandma. She's relatively young...she's just turned 50 and I guess it hasn't been easy for her either. My Grandpa says he isn't happy and he was only happy for the first 2 years of his marriage. After he got his stroke 4 years ago..his marriage has been hell or so he says.

My mom and a few of my aunties are all into tearing apart step grandma. It seems that she's been taking all of my grandpa's money and now his bank account is down to RM100. This is where I feel like a traitor. I don't blame her. My grandpa hasn't fully recovered after his stroke. He can walk and all although his movements are slow, his speech slurry and he isn't as mobile as before.

This lady of 50 is now stuck with a sickly 70 year old. Not only that, this man is living in her house and isn't paying a cent for rent. He gives step grandma RM300 for foodstuff and RM200 for her pocket money. No wonder she has had to resort to swindling the poor old man. RM500 isn't enough to cover the rent, the utility bills and what nots. And considering his age and hers for that matter...I guess she was building a nest egg to prepare for her later years.

My mom's argument is that this is proof that step grandma never truly married grandpa for love...well, duh...immediately after marrying her grandpa sold acres of his orchard land for god knows what. Wasn't that obvious enough? To me, this incident is inevitable.

Well, regardless of what I may think...I also feel that grandpa deserves to live happily at his late age. So if his happiness means divorcing step grandma...so be it. However, there is no reason to point fingers at others...I believe that we have no one other to blame but ourself and there is no use to cry over spilt milk. Let bygones be bygones. Erra and Yusry's seperations is contagious after all huh? Hope it doesn't hit me...touch wood. I must remember to be grateful to have married a wonderful man who is strongly against divorces...his or anyone else's. Otherwise...urgh...it's scary to even think about it.

2 comments:

rafiqaheliza said...

Divorce epidermic is hitting the country. And I hope it won't hit us..About your grandpa, I'm sure it's the biggest issue in you family now. People discussed the topic in almost every gathering. This is what happened to my late atok saudara (my mother's uncle). He was 70++ and married a lady age around 40 (what?!). After one week of marriage, he died of unknown cause. But based on the bruises he had (discovered masa tgh mandi mayat), people suspected that the lady might have abused the helpless old man. Nauzubillah..

LindaMunshi said...

What happened to ur Atok saudara is scary...but I guess, despite whose at fault...his happiness is what is most important. So if divorce makes him happy...so be it. It's his choice after all, so he should accept all consequences.