Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Old Flame


Attended one of my girlfriend's birthday party last weekend. It was a rare occasion for me because for once, darling hubby wasn't jetsetting across the globe and could actually attend a function with me. I was kind of excited...it was getting to be quite a drag going out to any sort of parties and gathering just me and Sarah. Don't get me wrong...I love going out with my precious girl...but at the age of two...I must say that she isn't much of the conversationalist. Haha!

Anyway, we got there early, so I was just hanging out outside with a couple of friends, hubby and those friends' significant other. The host then suggested us ladies to come inside and let the children play...it is a child's birthday party after all.

I nearly pissed my pants upon entering because lo and behold...who do I bump into at the doorway? An old, old flame...Luckily hubby was outside because if he had seen my expression...he'd be able to put two and two together and figure things out. At least I had the chance the compose myself and pretend that I didn't recognize him.

Hmph...just my luck. Of all time the time to bump into an old flame...it had to be the time when I'm pregnant and definitely NOT looking my best. I looked like a dugong...and he's probably thinking "Jeez...am I glad I got out of that one.."

Worst of all, after all these years...the guy hasn't changed a bit. The only noticeable change is perhaps that he has a little son running after him...and a pretty wife sitting next to him.

It was quite an effort for me to stay aloof and pretend that I didn't notice him...then I saw hubby emerging from the doorway and give me one of his big silly smile. I was suddenly obliviously to all the people in the the party and only saw that great guy I married. Everything made sense again.

It didn't matter that I looked like a dugong's decendent anymore...all I know is that I love this crazy, beautiful, wonderful guy I married and he has given me the most wonderful pleasure in the whole world...my beautiful daughter Sarah.

All in all, we had a great time at the party...Sarah had a blast of a time, hubby enjoyed himself tremendously to have been able to catch up with old friends and me, I'm ecstatic to see my family so happy. As for the old flame...err... what old flame? Forgotten for good....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda,

Talk about an old flame...my DH hav tis reunion almost every year with his old college mate and guess what one of them is his old flame. Some more have to gather at her house first and meet her parents! Talk about awkwardness..had always feel very inferior compare to her since she's more intelligent and confident :( But then realise tat she's the EX-gf..EX means past...history...not valid!!haha

rafiqaheliza said...

yaway, oh yes. My hubby's too (except for meeting her parents part)! I felt inferior as well as she's drop-dead gorgeous! And it felt even more weird when his ex greeted me. Yay! But she's single..and I'm happily married to the love of my life..and we have a son together..So, what the heck!

LindaMunshi said...

Yup...both of you are right! 'Ex' as in past tense...its the present that counts :)! However, hubby isn't aware about this particular 'flame'...so like I said before, the past is best left where it belongs...the past..hehehe...thank goodness, hubby despise reading...otherwise, surely he'll kepoh-kepoh read my blog and then TROUBLE.